Tuesday, March 30, 2010

is chivalry dead?

Thank you Christina, Katie, Carolyn, and Paulina lol
warning: gossip girl character references and spoilers .. not that many really care


So after speaking with a friend about the Gossip Girl boys, we questioned, where are are the chivalrous boys out there like Nate?  Or the cute/romantic/down-to-earth boys like Dan?  Or the go-getter, successful, suave boys like Chuck?


In tonight's episode, Jenny (the youngest character on the show) is roofied and then brought to a club.  Nate calls her, tracks her down through his nifty tracker device in his phone (?), and rushes to the club to save her from an almost rape.  
Dan is perfectly happy just hanging out with his recent girlfriend (but formally friend-with-benefits) and his idea of a perfect date is just sitting in the dorm with Vanessa.  
Chuck loses his hotel business and his mother but still manages to find his way back to his girlfriend and confine in her.
Note: all of these boys are also ridiculously good-looking.


I can't help to be disillusioned by my experiences that these boys don't exist.  Recently, I've heard of various types of pick-up lines: "If I didn't just meet you, I'd totally have sex with you" or "don't lie, I know you want me."  And, my personal favorite, when boys push and nudge trying to get on the bus at Albany on the weekends.  It's not a football game, boys.  Excuse me for not being completely charmed over.


I don't know what it is.  Maybe I'm hanging out in the wrong places.  Maybe it's worked on many other easy girls.  Maybe it's the alcohol.  Maybe it's media.  Maybe the art of chivalry is dead.


Any quality girl will tell you that chivalry is dead (kind of).  Chivalry is defined as the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms.  Today, it is not necessary for a man hold a door every time for a woman, put his coat over a puddle for a woman (Katie), or stand up from his chair every time a woman walks into the room, even though that is all very cute.  
In modern terms, chivalry is now more like boys text girls first, boys giving up their seats for older or pregnant women on public transportation (Carolyn), and treating a girl as an equal and individual (Katie).


This is the 21 century, we respect EVERYONE as individuals... the whole "bring me a sandwich" thing is bullshit.  


Maybe, boys don't feel the need to be charming until the right girl comes along and until then, they can just do whatever they want to get her into bed.  Maybe it's too much work to be suave and charismatic.  I really don't understand it, but from my point of view, it seems as though chivalry is dead, the old and modern kind.


I guess I can leave you with a song by frankie valli and the four seasons: walk like a man, talk like a man, walk like a man my son. 


so just be a man.


(PS i realize not all boys are like this but, lately, the majority i've come across are)

3 comments:

  1. The idea of chivalry died with the glorification of sex. It involves a great deal of intelligence to be a chivalrous man these days and not just book smarts, but true and morally guiding sentience. Finding someone with this type of conscience also gets harder every year because less women are trying to find this kind of man. Look at who we idolize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, couldn't have said it better myself. i wish you weren't anonymous.

    ReplyDelete