Sunday, March 7, 2010

But, why, Asher Roth?

So, half way into my first year at college, I feel like I've been thrown around a bit, roughed up around the edges, I guess.  I've had my share of "college experiences" ... getting too drunk, getting too drunk on a thursday, hooking up with strangers, smoking, playing beer pong, not going to class, getting sick, eating bad food, etc.  But, I can't help to be frustrated with this thing called the college "experience" or the college "culture."

This college culture, correct me if I'm wrong, is (in a nutshell): get as drunk as possible in the least amount of time and hook up with the most amount of people possible in the least amount of time.  Now maybe it's me, but I'm completely baffled by this "culture" or "right of passage."  Don't get me wrong, it is definitely fun at times, but is that what college is about?  Is that why we're here? And why exactly is this okay?

Asher Roth's song, "I Love College" is the perfect example of this.
"That party last night was awfully crazy" ... ok, agreed
"I wish we taped it" ... why? next weekend is going to be the same thing
"I danced my ass off and had this one girl completely naked" ... don't doubt it
"drink my beer and smoke my weed" ... cool
"but my good friends is all i need" ... agreed
"pass out at 3, wake up at 10" ... but, that's so tiring
"go out to eat and do it again" ... soo, every day/weekend is the same?

This is just the chorus of the song, and every single line is so truthful.  But, WHY is it the truth?  I still don't understand how this epidemic came to be at colleges across the country.  Maybe because it's just too easy because there are no parents, no rules, and no authority other than teachers and RAs (which don't even count).  Maybe we just feel the need to "explore" one another, to explore ourselves.

But, isn't college about 'higher education' and finding ourselves?  Aren't we here to learn how change the world?  So why does it feel like we're here to just drink, smoke, hook up, and have a good time?

The truth is that we will never ever live like this again.  In college, we don't have anything to worry about other than finishing that paper before Thursday night or making sure you take your laundry out of the machine.  Don't get me wrong, there are days where I absolutely hate the idea of going away to college, but there are other days when I can't get enough of it.  In actuality, college is a great time and in 10 years, I'm going to miss it.

The key is, to find that balance between a good time and a serious education.  Personally, this balance is very hard to find.  What I have learned is that college is what you make of it.  You have to learn to balance between having fun (aka partying), getting a high GPA, and finding the right group of friends.  Yeah, it's a rocky road in the beginning, but it all works out by the time you have to graduate (gulp).  So, take every day one at a time and just appreciate the good stuff because the bad stuff is probably not that bad at all.

currently appreciating: 'All the Right Moves' by One Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment