Saturday, October 9, 2010

my family

so it's family weekend up at albany.  my family is not here (they're coming tomorrow) and i am the only one in my suite right now.  i feel sort of lonely but just thinking about my family really warms me.  so here's to us. (disclaimer: overwhelming corniness and deepness.  my family is not perfect. we're a bunch of rugrats, but i chose to highlight the better part)


i've always been really fond of 'family' but especially my family.  i always knew that we were kinda different from most families because if everyone had a family like mine, the world would be such a better place.


i don't know what it is, but there is something so innocent and pure about my family.  innocent and pure in a selfless sense because any impure person cannot be selfless.  a family of a higher innocence because it involves knowledge.  knowledge of pain and compassion.  an understanding knowledge.  a family of pureness because we believe in acceptance.  acceptance of one another's pain and past.  but also generous and honest because we want to share one another's pain and past.  it would never matter whatever mountain we need to clime, or whatever plane/train/highway we need to take, in order to make the other happy.


i'm blessed because i don't just have an immediate family who feels this way, but i have this huge extended family of beautiful strangers that just kinda filled up any natural gaps left open in my immediate family.  they too, travel highway distances just to hang out.  and at the click of a phone call, they are immediately understanding, selfless, and generous just out of love.  


not only is my family awesome in its capacity to love, but there's also a purity and remedy in the way that they can make me laugh.  there is purity and freedom in laughter, but there is nothing like a family laughter.  at those moments of laughter, all you see and feel is one another's smile.  it warms your whole body to believe that life is good.



1 comment: